В теме мы рассмотрим времена группы past, а именно past perfect, past perfect continuous и past continuous. Базовые случаи их употребления мы рассмотрели в темах:
- Когда употребляется past perfect;
- Past perfect continuous, правила образования и употребления;
- Past Continuous tense, правила и примеры.
Сегодня мы разберем несколько нюансов.
Подобно временам группы perfect в настоящем времени, past perfect, и past perfect continuous могут быть взаимозаменяемы без потери смысла.
- I was surprised she was going to quit. She had been working (or had worked) for the company for many years;
- Finally I decided to move although I had been living (or had lived) there all my life.
- I had called him three times before he answered the phone. (not
I had been calling);
- This was the first time we had been to the castle, even though we visited Prague a few times before.
Сравните два примера:
- We’d been driving for two hours before the weather started to change;
- The lightning struck in front of our car while we were driving home.